(This is all assuming you already have your branding and your business’s ‘why’ nailed down – if you don’t read this article about getting clear on your branding)Think about it this way:To be effective, every action we take in life needs to be intentional and move us toward our goal.It’s like using a GPS system to go somewhere.The GPS system needs the address of your destination in order to give you the steps to take you where you want to go.If you don’t put your destination address in the GPS, it won’t be able to tell you where you need to turn and what roads you need to take to get there.Developing a strategy for marketing your business on social media is the same way – you need to know what your goals are.Once you have your goals figured out, you can work backward to figure out how to achieve them.
Create Goals That Are Measurable
What isn’t measured, isn’t managed.If you want to achieve the goals you’ve set forth, you need to be able to track your progress towards achieving them.Don’t just say you want to increase sales – quantify it.Increase sales by 10% next quarter? Sell 200 more widgets next month?Get some numbers down – that way, you can develop and test a strategy to achieve that goal and measure if you hit your mark or not.Did you launch an ad campaign on Facebook that boosted your sales by only 4%?Then you can go back to the drawing board and adjust your ad campaign, change your promotion, or try something new altogether.
Who Are You Trying To Reach?
Next, you need to figure out exactly who your social media campaign is for.If you’re a chiropractor, you’re likely trying to reach a different audience than if you’re an auto-mechanic.And your services are going to speak at different pain points.Your message needs to be tailored to the specific audience you’re trying to reach.So once you have your audience nailed down, you need to speak in their language.What are their pain points?What problems does your product/service solve for them?What needs and/or wants does it satisfy?When you’re asking yourself these questions, remember that people don’t want your product or service – they want the benefit of your product or service.People don’t want chiropractic care, they want pain relief.People don’t want a lamp, they want a lighted room.People don’t want a new mattress, they want a good night’s sleep.I think you get the point.Speak in terms of the benefits your product or service provides.Are you a chiropractor looking to help working professionals with back pain?Publish content about the negative effects of sitting down too much and how chiropractic can remedy those issues.
Don’t Forget The 80/20 Rule
Give value 80% of the time.Promote your product or service the other 20%.You don’t want to just promote and sell your products and services on social media.If someone were to come into your store, would you constantly be asking them to buy your products or services?No?Then don’t do it on social media either.I see a lot of businesses act as if the internet is a magic veil between them and their customer that makes it okay to relentlessly ask people to buy from them.Instead of asking people to buy all the time with your social media posts, give people value.Share relevant information about your industry, showcase some of your customer reviews, post a picture that will make people laugh, ask people for their opinion.(If you’re not sure what to post on your social media profiles to provide value, I compiled a list of 30+ post ideas that you can get here)The reality is that nobody likes being sold to.People don’t want to be coaxed into doing anything, they want to make decisions on their own.So focus your social media campaigns on building customer relationships, and establishing trust with your audience.Then, when you do ask people to buy from you the other 20% of the time, they’ll feel much better about doing so.
Set measurable goals (what)
Figure out who you want to reach (who)
Figure out your message (why)
Practice the 80/20 rule (how)
What’s missing here?Where.As a local business owner, the best place you can reach your audience at scale is Facebook.With over 2 billion monthly users and over 51% of all adults being active daily users, there’s no better place to reach, engage, and build relationships with your target market.If your business isn’t on Facebook yet, or you want to take your Facebook game to the next level, you can get my free Facebook marketing training below.The 4 Pillars of Facebook Marketing for Local Business Growth.